Monday, September 8, 2008

Time to Pay Forward

In the summer of 2008, I sold my house privately and saved myself more than $20,000 (CAD).

A FSBO (For Sale By Owner) service offered me their basic $300 package for free in a promotion. This included putting up a nice and clear sign in front of my home. Thinking that I had nothing much to lose, I decided to try it out for a month before going to the realtors. I was very sceptical at first, but the FSBO agent reinforced me by telling success stories of his previous clients.

I sold my house in 10 days. Since then, I began to had this feeling not only that I owe the FSBO agent a favour (I saved thousands of dollars but he earned nothing), but I am obliged to share my experience and advice with others too. It is time for me to pay forward.

As a disclaimer, I am not against any realtor. Personally, I believe they provide valuable services. However, I do believe that FSBO is another viable way to sell a house. Unfortunately, many realtors would hold against this belief.

No comments: