Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My FSBO Testimonial (Part 2) - Meeting the FSBO Guy

It was still 4 months away from the closing of my new house. A usual practice was to put the house up for sale no earlier than 3 months before the closing. So I had about a month to go. I thought, who not try to sell the house myself first?

I and my wife spent a few nights tidying up the house. I then took a few photos and put up some postings on Kijiji and Craiglist. The next day, someone replied to me by e-mail. He was a regional sales representative from an FSBO company, and he told me they had a promotion in my area. The basic package which normally costed $300 was now free. Free stuff, I thought. So there was nothing to lose! I registered in their website right away and posted my listing there.

A few days later, the same guy called me and asked me when would be a good time for him to come and put up the sign. The free package also included the sign?! That was awesome !

The FSBO agent came the next day to put up the sign. We had a lengthy chat. He tried to up-sell me with a $600 premium package, which costed only $300 on promotion. I said I would pass since I was still sceptical about the whole FSBO process. He then began to remind me the ridiculously high commissions realtors were charging and the comparatively small works they had to do. Indeed, I agreed with him very much. He also told me some recent success stories of his clients. He frankly told me that he did not earn a penny from me because of the free promotion. All he was hoping for was that I would sell my house successfully. Then he could put up the "Sold" sign, which in turn would act as an advertisement for them.

I gained a lot of confidence after talking to the FSBO agent. I felt more determined to sell my house by myself. Now the "Private Sale" sign was up, I knew the other realtors were watching, and some would be waiting for the day when I would give up and call them.

Part 1
Part 3

No comments: